Sunday, February 3, 2013

Using the Dodge tool

I took a photo that had dark shadows in the upper half of the picture. I wanted to get rid of the shadows.

I opened my picture up in Photoshop and selected the dodge tool from the left toolbar.

At the top of the Photoshop tool bar I adjusted the Range and Exposure.

I changed my Range to “highlight” and my Exposure to “20%”.

Before I started to change my photograph using the dodge tool I made a copy of my image by using the “control + J” key. This allows me to have a copy of my image made so that if I am not happy with the “dodge tool” correction I can go back to my original image.

Next I placed my cursor over the image where I wanted to remove the shadow. The cursor appears as a circle (which is your brush area). For some of the smaller areas I wanted to change my brush size, which you can do by using your right and left bracket key (making the brush size larger and smaller). Once you have your desired brush size and your cursor is over the area you want to remove the shadow hold down your mouse and brush over the area until you have your desired look.
If you feel that you may have lightened an area too much you can right click on the “Dodge tool” and select the “Burn tool” which will darken the image when you place the cursor over the area you wish to darken. This is what my image looked like when I was finished.

I no longer have dark shadows in my image!


Source : digicompdiy[dot]wordpress[dot]com

0 comments:

Post a Comment